This is who we are and what we believe:
Our Mission Statement
To develop creators, innovators and leaders in the production and exhibition of original films, through the combination of storytelling and technology.
The Film Program of the Department of Film, Theatre and Creative Writing will be preeminent nationally in filmmaking education. As a leader, the Film Program will be recognized for its excellence by:
- Developing a high-quality comprehensive curriculum that balances storytelling and technical competence;
- Developing a comprehensive artistic experience that emphasizes creativity, confidence, innovation, and experimentation;
- Developing a comprehensive approach to professional practices and career strategies in the motion picture industry;
- Drawing positive attention in the University, the region and nation-wide, to the program, faculty, and students;
- Recruiting, enhancing, and retaining an internationally recognized faculty and staff;
- Maintaining an infrastructure, including facilities, equipment, and computers, that supports the program’s vision.
Our Core Values
- Providing an exceptional quality education that meets high standards as well as the specific needs of the emerging filmmaker.
- Fostering an environment of creativity, experimentation, and innovation for students and faculty.
- Providing an educational environment that values equal opportunities, inclusiveness, and cultural diversity.
- Helping students become practicing artists and creators with a clear identity and the confidence to engage the world.
- Focusing on fundamental storytelling techniques and encouraging students to craft stories that are unique and individual, and that help students develop a unique voice.
- Fostering student group productions and faculty-lead film productions that allow for the development of collaboration and teamwork and provide examples of professional-level filmmaking.
Curriculum and Facilities
- Taking accessible and cutting edge technologies and applying them to the solution of creative challenges.
- Providing up-to-date equipment and facilities that serve as a working model of current film production.
- Proactively updating and developing the Film program’s curriculum.
- Actively engaging in scholarly and creative activities.
- Keeping up with the latest developments in our fields
- Collaborating with colleagues on and off campus as equal partners in ways that capitalize on each other’s unique strengths in research and creative activities.